A “powerful Congress leader” had requested that the government bungalow Priyanka Gandhi Vadra has to vacate be allotted to a Congress MP so she could stay on, Union Minister Hardeep Puri alleged today in a tweet. The minister was responding to Priyanka Gandhi hitting out at “fake news” that she had requested more time to vacate the house.
The government had on July 1 issued an eviction notice to Priyanka Gandhi for the 35, Lodhi Estate bungalow she was allotted in 1997. She was told that she was no longer eligible for a bungalow after her security cover was downgraded last year from the Special Protection Group, and she was asked to vacate by August 1.
A report suggested that she had been granted an extension on her request.
“This is FAKE NEWS. I have not made any such request to the government. As per the eviction letter handed to me on the 1st of July, I will be vacating the government accommodation at 35 Lodhi Estate by the 1st of August,” she said in a tweet.
Facts speak for themselves!
A powerful Congress leader with much clout in the Party called me on 4 July 2020 at 12:05 pm to request that 35, Lodhi Estate be allotted to another INC MP so that Priyanka Vadra can stay on.
Let’s not sensationalise everything please. https://t.co/n1RQr6SGm6
— Hardeep Singh Puri (@HardeepSPuri) July 14, 2020
Hardeep Puri, the Housing Minister, retorted: “Facts speak for themselves! A powerful Congress leader with much clout in the Party called me on 4 July 2020 at 12:05 pm to request that 35, Lodhi Estate be allotted to another INC MP so that Priyanka Vadra can stay on. Let’s not sensationalise everything please.”
Priyanka Gandhi’s husband Robert Vadra also posted a denial on Facebook and said the family would leave a week before the deadline.
“This is completely incorrect!! We have not asked for any extension of stay. We were sent a notice on the 1st of July to leave in 30 days. We at a time of “Covid” have packed our entire household, and will leave a week before time,” Mr Vadra wrote.